Me, on the other hand, I think lots has been accomplished. There are quite a few little projects that needed to be done even before we could start on the backsplash. Electrical boxes needed to be installed inside the wall since there were none before - WTF!! Yes, we went to change the outlets and switches only to find there were no boxes in the wall, just the wiring. It kind of made McG freak out a bit, but I calmed him down and off to the hardware store we went to get boxes and extenders since we would be adding the beadboard on top of the 5/8 MDF that was already there.
Once that was completed we could start to measure and cut the beadboard panels. We chose to use
tongue and groove strips of beadboard that are approximately 4 inches wide and 8 feet long.
Once they were attached to the wall with adhesive and small brad nails. We caulked and painted them with two coats of exterior ultra white semi-gloss paint. We find that exterior paint holds up much better to the spills and wiping that will be required in a kitchen or bathroom.
There will be a small trim that will be put where the backsplash meets the counter top as well.
The cabinet doors have gone to the painter and they should be back by mid December. In the meantime, the painter has dropped off the primer and paint for us to paint the cabinet boxes. That will be next up on the agenda I think. We still have to add MDF around the window and behind the stove to bring all the wall levels to a consistant one. Then the walls above the beadboard will need to be painted and new trim be installed around the windows and to cap off the beadboard.
We are hoping to wrap this project up by mid December so that we can decorate and celebrate the holidays in our new kitchen!
I'll be back soon with another update!