Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Re-vamping the Garden Swing

This past weekend we started getting our backyard ready for the summer season. 
 We are lucky that we have several areas to sit and enjoy the gardens.

In the back of our yard we have a small cement pad where we put our garden swing.  We have had it for several years and at the end of last summer the canopy fell apart when I washed it.  Here is a picture of the metal frame - we take the cushions and canopy off each winter and store them inside.


I knew I wanted to do this project on a budget, so I stopped into our local TAG store, which is going out of business, to see what deals I could find on clearance.  They had some outdoor pillows and a matching table cloth that were made from outdoor fabric. I chose a bright orange and white pattern since the seating on the swing is an off-white colour.


The tablecloth was 60x84 and was on clearance for $8 and the throw cushions were $6 each - I bought two.  The measurement of the swing canopy is 50x84 so I knew this size would be perfect.

I am lucky in that McG knows how to work a sewing machine.  His Mom was wonderful at preparing all her kids for life - even her boys learned how to cook and sew.  My Mom is a great seamstress but she never passed those talents on to my sister and I!!  


He measured out for the pockets on each side that would hold the framing of the swing canopy and then stitched them on the machine.  Once we inserted the rods it looked like this...



We then attached the canopy to the swing frame with the bolts...



and then added the seat cushions...(Here's McG - he doesn't like to have his picture on the blog/internet but agreed since you can't see his face)


And finally - here it is, all put together!


It really turned out well and was a great budget fix at only around $25 including the tax! 
 It's going to be a great place to spend some time in the garden.

Are you making over any of your backyard seating this year?? If so, I'd love to hear from you!

14 comments:

  1. He did a beautiful job. The swing looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya - he really is my HERO some days!! LOL - other days I lend him out to friends!!

      Cheryl

      Delete
  2. I wish I knew how to sew...the possibilities are endless...great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Love the pop of color!! You are sooooooo lucky your McG sews!! OMG!!! ~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - I know I'm a lucky girl!!! - thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. oh man, i need to borrow him! my swing is so sturdy, unlike a lot of them, and i don't want to get rid of it, but it's looking a little worse for the wear. love your bright "new" one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great job!I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Have a great day,Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful update! I love the fabric choices, Cheryl!
    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks gorgeous. Love the fabric you chose. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! What a project to tackle! Thank you for sharing at Give Me The Goods!
    Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  9. The really looks great! Love the new look. Thank you for linking up to One More Time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow my canopy top has been torn and gone for years, I didn't make a pattern b4 trashing it. I've been trying to figure out how to make one with the pockets and little scalloped flaps, this is so much easier. Who knew men could make it simple LOL. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions...and if you like this post - PLEASE SHARE!!!