Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Cheap and Easy Changes in the Living Room!

Last week I completed a small project that has had a big impact in my living room.  Something so simple, I'm not sure why I didn't think of it sooner...

Back in the fall last year, I shared with you how we converted a bookcase from the seventies into a media cabinet for our living room (if you missed that, you can find it here).  I loved the look but I found the shelves to be very dark and I had to be careful in what I chose to showcase on those shelves because some items didn't show up well in this cabinet.


I knew that I could paint the inside of the cabinet, but I wasn't sure I wanted a "permanent" solution.  I was looking more for something that I could change out as I pleased and something that wasn't so time consuming as painting would have been.  I ended up picking up some foam board at Walmart.



It came in a 2-pack and each was 30 inches by 20 inches...more than I needed, but it was very easy to cut.

I used a tape measure to get the size of my cabinet opening, then transferred that measurement to the foam board.  I used a carpenter's knife and a contractor's square to make sure my cuts were straight.  



I just removed the tchotchkes and shelving from the cabinets and then placed the foam board into the back of the cabinet.  Then I just added the shelving and the goodies back in!  I didn't glue it in place - #1 - because I wanted the option of changing the look and - #2 - because the shelf holds it in place so there's no need to worry about afixing it to the back.

 


Here's a side by side view of what it looked like before and after with one side completed.

 

It really gives the media cabinet a whole new look and it's easily changeable.
  This is what it looks like completed.


It definitely showcases my decorative items much more than with the dark wood backing.  This project was very easy to complete and if I get tired of the look, it's very easy to change out.  You could  wrap a decorative fabric around the foam board to change out the look or even add wallpaper or wrapping paper to one side of it.

This project cost a total of $5.78 - a great cheap and easy way to get a whole new look in your room!

Have you done any cheap and easy projects lately??  I'd love to hear from you!

Cheryl

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'd be inclined to put a simple patterned wrapping or tissue paper on the board. That's the beauty of your suggestion - it inspires the imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolores - that's what I had planned to do...even bought a cute wrapping paper for it - but I'm saving that for later when I get tired of the plain white...thanks for stopping by - glad I could inspire you!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl that is a great solution!! I hope you had a nice time away and enjoyed the weekend..
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris - thanks for following - I will be sure to pop over and give you a follow back!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever solution, and yes, everything shows up so much better. Good job. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right Cheryl! It does show off your items in the cabinet much better. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions...and if you like this post - PLEASE SHARE!!!